Monday, June 27, 2011

Umeboshi



I'm incorporating a new food routine into my daily life as of late. My grandma said that my great grandparents ate umeboshi plums with rice nightly and I kind of want to try doing the same because it's fun to take up new healthy habits (not that I'm a health nut by any means - hotdogs are like a food group for me this week). I was also browsing through Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet awhile ago and remember that she mentioned the plum and its benefits. Here's what she had to say about umeboshi:

"Incredibly alkalizing to the blood, umeboshi help to buffer excess acidity from white sugar and alcohol and are even helpful against the common cold."

8 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious and just like what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've got to try this out. Thanks for the food tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh, that sounds really interesting. i'm not sure i've ever had a plum, other than mixed in with things like desserts. i'll have to look into this more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please share the recipe. Do you use Mirin to cook them? I've been wanting to pick up the Kind Diet--did you like it? I'm back to reading Clean Start by a vegan chef--her recipes are delicious and she is all about easing into it, like adding one recipe a week. I'm trying to do one meal a day until I get all the naughty stuff out of my fridge...hard in summer to give up ice cream though!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I'd like to try these too, but I have no idea where to get them. Maybe I should get settled first. I suspect that NYC's Chinatown will have them somewhere. And what do you think of The Kind Diet? I met some chickens yesterday and now am seriously considering going vegetarian/vegan (I recognize I won't ever completely give up eggs or cheese or milk but I am vigilant about where the stuff comes from).

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is such a great healthy tip! will be on the lookout for these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh sounds like a great, and easy, healthy tip! tell me how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mary jo, my grandma buys me the umeboshi already pickled or whatever it's called. then i just put it over rice. i'll send you the recipe from the kind diet tho! because i think alicia does it differently :)

    brandi, you can get umeboshi at any japanese market. (that's where my grandma gets them at least ) i haven't read the kind diet cover to cover, but from what bits and pieces i've read, i really like it! really inspiring live healthfully and eat more mindfully like we talked about over brunch :)

    ReplyDelete