Sunday, November 27, 2011

Table Project

So, I've been working on a table for the past few weeks, spending a few hours each weekend building what I initially wanted to be a cool salvaged wood table similar to the one in this post. As it turns out, building with salvaged wood was really hard. I brought one piece back from Berkeley and then tried to make it work with a couple pieces that I found at my grandma's and it just wasn't working. I guess I just don't have an eye for that and have to leave that to the pros. Hopefully one day though! So, I did what was easiest: buy all my wood from home depot, make the simplest design possible (four legs and a tabletop), and make it 2ft x 4ft (a manageable size for a small person). I took a few progress shots:

Sawing the wood was probably one of my favorite parts only because I used my grandpa's old saw. He taught me some basics when I was a kid like how to hammer in a nail in two hits. He was the ultimate DIYer and I thought about him a lot throughout the process.


Brackets and wood screws

Final stretch: staining!


I was a little bummed that it got so cold, but like typical southern california weather, it's back up to the high 70s and I dont have to wait until spring to enjoy scenes like this.

8 comments:

  1. wow, looks fab! so impressed with the work you put in and the final result -- great job, dyan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I want to build a dining table now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you should be so proud of yourself as I am proud of you! So impressive, and love that it is in your genes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed that you did this Dyan! I would love to make a dining room table from salvaged wood, but considering I have furniture piling up in the garage to refinish, I can't start one more project! Can't wait to see a full shot of your table!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did this! hurray diy girls!

    http://anmarkdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dyan, this table is incredible! Go YOU! Now, how about taking a trip out to the East Coast to help me with my dining table? I'll cook you a few good dinners as payment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice dyan! i like the stain that you chose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the table love, guys! :)

    ReplyDelete