Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Moveable Feast

2268423749_624ce0d71d_b

I just finished Hemingway's A Moveable Feast and, while I'm not one to fantasize about Paris, I did find myself day dreaming. It's hard to put into words why I liked this book so much without stating the obvious, but I think all I can do is state the obvious. Loving this book has to do with factors like an instant escape to 1920s Paris, reading speed set to slow because some books should be savored rather than devoured, and a chance to get to know writers of the Lost Generation a little bit better. Scenes to love:

"The Closerie des Lilas was the nearest good cafe when lived in the flat over the sawmill at 113 rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs, and it was one of the best cafes in Paris. It was warm inside in the winter and in the spring and fall it was very fine outside with the tables under the shade of the trees on the side where the statue of Marshal Ney was, and the square, regular tables under the big awnings along the boulevard."

"Across the branch of the Seine was the Ile St.-Louis with the narrow streets and old, tall,beautiful houses, and you could go over there or you could turn left and walk along the quais with the length of the Ile St.-Louis and then Notre-Dame and Ile de la Cite opposite as you walked."

4 comments:

  1. This is so dreamy. I am one to fantasize about Paris or used to be now I'm leaning more towards enjoying the Country where I live in. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I'm daydreaming about Paris now too. A friend just lent me her copy of The Paris Wife. I think I'll have to read A Moveable Feast first...and once I'm done with both books, I'll likely have to plan a trip there myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Hemingway and the womans turban hat is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that description is so pretty! Paris is definitely worth day dreaming about.

    ReplyDelete